Vaughan Public Libraries provides exceptional library service for all citizens and strives to meet the needs of all citizens. We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and by meeting the accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and the City of Vaughan's Accessibility Policy.
Many of the resources available at VPL are suited to accessibility needs.
- Audiobooks (Books on CD)
- eAudiobooks (downloadable)
- eBooks (downloadable) - the settings can be adjusted with the majority of our downloadable eBooks to suit personal preferences for text size.
- Large Print books
- Adult basic literacy books
- Many DVD's and Blu-ray's have the sub-title option
- Descriptive DVD's
- Many of our databases provide text to speech capability such as EBSCO, Gale, PebbleGo, TumbleBooks and TumbleReadables.
A DAISY Reader is available for loan in VPL. Provided by the Government of Ontario, the DAISY READER is a digital talking book player to assist people who are blind or have print-related disabilities.
As a member of the Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA), VPL offers access to over 85,000 items to seniors or anyone who has a visual, physical or learning disability that prevents them from reading conventional print.
Enjoy books, magazines, newspapers and described videos in a variety of formats including audio, e-text, downloadable and braille formats.
To set up an account with CELA, please ask staff at the Service Desk for assistance. VPL membership is also required.